The Akwa State governor, Mr Udom Emmanuel has ordered that the borders of the State be closed to non-essential traffic (food items) with immediate effect and asked workers to work from home for a period of one week after a critical analysis of the situation relating to COVID-19 situation.
This information is contained in an announcement made on Thursday by the Secretary to State Government, Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem.
it’s reads below:
1. Salaries of state government workers for the month of March will be paid today, Thursday, March 26, 2020.
2. Workers are advised to prepare to stop going to work and stay at home for one (1 ) week with effect from Monday 30 March, 2020. The stay-at-home order will be strongly enforced.
3. All borders and roads leading in and out of the state are closed with immediate effect; except for the transportation of food items.
4. Ibom Air will suspend all flight operations from Sunday, 29 March, 2020.
5. Markets are to remain open for sale of foodstuff and essential items only.
6. All Churches are strongly requested to fast and pray for God’s mercies on Sunday 29 March, 2020.
7. Residents and citizens are strongly advised to apply all the preventive measures earlier announced.
While the one week stay-at-home order subsists, the Akwa Ibom State Government will continue to monitor and provide regular updates on any development in the COVID-19 situation in our state
Although there is no confirmed COVID-19 case in Akwa Ibom State, we abide by the ancient adage that ” prevention is better than cure”.
The Governor, also enjoins all residents and citizens; including professional bodies, to desists from creating unnecessary panic within the state by propagating unverified news, whipping up selfish and myopic sentiments and fanning the embers of discord for pecuniary / or political gains.