The Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr. Usani Uguru, on Wednesday disclosed that the Federal Government has uncovered some shady deals by some of the contractors that handled projects in the Niger Delta region.
Uguru disclosed this to State House correspondents at the end of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by the Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
He said the discoveries were contained in a report of an investigation carried out by the ministry on all contracts awarded and projects carried out by the ministry from 2009 to 2015, periods late Umaru Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan were the Presidents of the country.
“Some of the contractors made away with the money paid them without appearing on the sites of the projects, some others managed to implement 12 per cent of the projects they were paid for, he added.
The minister said the report revealed that over N423bn had been expended in the region by the ministry alone, adding that the amount did not include the sums expended by other intervention agencies.
The minister said he sought and got the council’s approval to make the report available to relevant government agencies in charge of recovering government assets that were either misappropriated, misused or found to be idling in some quarters.
He said while those who deserved sanctions would be punished, others who needed to return to sites would be compelled to do so.